Friday, November 22, 2013

Why Are There No Pictures of Mommy?

This is a very interesting topic.  And one I have my sister-in-law, Jenny, to thank for bringing it to my attention.  It started while we were at the annual Pattonville homecoming parade.  The floats were starting to approach, so the kids and I grabbed a spot on the curb for some prime candy catching.  It was then that Jenny attempted to snap a picture of the candy crew.  But I'm sure you can guess what happened next.  I bolted off of that curb so fast, you would have thought it was on fire.  Sound familiar?  She then proceeded to tell me a story about how a son thought his mother was beautiful, but didn't have many pictures of her to remember her by.  So sad, right?  (I'm sure I did not do any justice to the real story, but hopefully you get the idea.)

This instantly hit home with me.  Not only do I become an Olympic gymnast in order to avoid a picture, I am also usually the one behind the camera (um, iPhone).  Which is why there is an abundance of pictures of the boys with Daddy.  But the real reason for pictures is not for Facebook or Instagram (although they are great ways to keep in touch with friends and family), but are meant to be memories to treasure for a lifetime, and then passed on to your children to treasure through their lifetime.  So what will they have to cherish years from now if we continue to resist the camera?  Sure you have the professional family photos, and the ones taken over the holidays, but what about the yoga pants, no make-up, dance party pictures?   I am so blessed to be able to spend all of this precious time with my boys, but I know I will eventually regret not capturing these special moments once they are grown up and too busy (or too cool) to just sit and snuggle with me.

Definitely a lessoned learned, thanks to the wise words of one Jennifer Stranghoener!  And since then, I have started making an effort to take more pictures of us, just living.  Doing the things we love.  Snuggling in bed on Friday mornings when we don't have to get dressed for school.  Curled up on the couch watching a movie on a rainy afternoon (pictured below...no make-up and all.  Eeek!!) .  Helping Mommy cook in the kitchen.  Playing at our favorite park.  Reading the Kids' Bible Stories book together before bed.  Those are the moments that bring so much joy to my life and I want the boys to be able to share the joy of seeing their Mommy snuggling, playing, and cooking with them for years to come (make-up or not).  :)

 

2 comments: