Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"I will never do THAT with MY kids"

 
"I will never do that with my kids!"  Admit it!  You have said this statement (or thought it) at one point in your pre-kid life.  Or, chances are, if you don't have kids you have probably said it today.  Well, I'm guilty!!  Let me give you an example.  "I will never let my kids sleep in bed with me...ever".  Turns out, the joke's on me!  But when your kid gets up at the crack of dawn...scratch that!  More like before the crack of dawn!  Your first instinct is to plop him in bed with you because you are so tired and desperate for another few minutes of sleep and you tell yourself, "just this once."  But let me go ahead and spoil the ending for you.  That wake-up call gets earlier and earlier until the next thing you know, you're getting toddler toes to the face and it isn't even midnight yet!!  What the heck just happened?!

In my defense (here come the excuses), we took the binky away from the poor kid and he was left with nothing to help him get back to sleep when he woke up.  We thought we were rock star parents when he would only take the binky for naps and bed time, but all it took was a little thing called hand foot and mouth disease (I know, gross!) to get me to give in and give it to him while he was sick (excuse #2).  And he was attached again.  Then that big confident pat on the back you gave yourself went away in an instant and there goes your rock star parenting status.  Again, what just happened? 
 
So, we went cold turkey with the binky and let's just say, we are now going through "sleep training."  We are not only teaching him how to fall asleep on his own, but also trying to avoid the need for him to come into our room in the middle of the night.  I. Am. Exhausted.  But I have to remain focused and consistent.  Take notes, moms!  Turns out, consistency really pays off!  Instead of coming into our room now, he calls for me when he wakes up.  Not the end result we are looking for yet, but definitely progress!  And let me go ahead and put it out there.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your 3 year old sleeping in bed with you.  It just didn't work for us.  If I ever have any advice, it would be to do what works for you and only you!

So needless to say, once you become a parent, all of your "I will never"  plans, become survival plans and you just end up doing as best you can.  So do yourself a favor and stop thinking "I will never" and start thinking "I will".  As in, "I will love my kids and take care of them as best I know how".  And while you're at it, take time to tell a mom what a great job she is doing.  I'm sure we could all stand to hear that! :)

 
Here are some throw backs of my Binky Baby

 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Great Andrea! This is a great outlet for you. You know I love blogging!!! You are a FABULOUS mother and I am excited to hear more about it on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much from the veteran blogger herself! Can't wait to share more!!

      Delete
  2. Great blog Andrea! It was so good to see you at the party! Your blog is right on - about doing what works for you and remember each child is as different as night and day even if they are brothers or sisters. I had one that nursed every 4 hours like a clock work and went to bed when she was tired. Another one nursed every time I turned around [or at least it seemed that way] and another that fought going to bed to the bitter end. [We finally just said okay you can stay up and in about 10 minutes he would fall over on the floor asleep!] Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I have really enjoyed it so far. And it was great seeing you too, and having some laughs! I hope you will keep reading. See you soon!

      Delete
  3. You are a GREAT mommy and I'm looking forward to reading more and learning what this whole mommyhood thing is about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doll! I know you will be a great mom too and I am so excited to see you in action in a few short months!!

      Delete