Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Perfect Snow Day Craft for Toddlers

Here it is.  Yet another snow day!  I am by no means complaining, and I welcome the extra time with my kids, but cabin fever takes on a completely new meaning when you have 2 very active toddler boys.  Especially when Daddy is traveling...oh, and when your snow day follows a holiday.  Have I set the stage well enough for the need for this activity?  Ok, we can move on then! :) 

It was just before 9:00. The boys had already been up for over 3 hours and the day was crawling.  We were on Disney Junior overload and had our fair share of movies and electronics over the past few days.  I thought about going to the library, but I was too much of a baby to brave the cold.  So of course, I consulted my Pinterest boards for a fun snow day activity that would occupy the boys and pass the time.  Nothing stood out.  I even let Cooper browse a little bit, but he was less than impressed as well.  I remember seeing a snowman craft somewhere that you make with marshmallows, so I searched for that.  I found something similar, but not exactly what I was looking for, so we just decided to "wing" it.  Luckily, one of my first tasks as a stay at home mom was to stock up on craft supplies, so we had everything we needed to make the perfect snowman.  Here is the list of what we used
 
Construction paper
Crayon/pencil
Glue
Marshmallows
 Mini M&Ms
Pipe cleaners
Scissors
 
I traced circles onto the paper and added the glue, so the only thing the boys had to do was add the marshmallows...and eat a few along the way.  Then We added mini M&Ms for the face and buttons.  The pipe cleaners were perfect for the arms because we were able to stick them in the side of the marshmallows.  We finished it up by cutting a construction paper top hat, and adding some "snow" to the ground.  I experimented with a few options for a scarf, but it looked cute enough without it, don't you think?!  :)
 


 

 
 
 
 
We had a blast making these. And it was the perfect toddler activity because they could snack as they go. This is key when you have 24 hour snackers like my growing boys. 
 
If you have a favorite snow day activity, I'd love for you to share!  Thanks for stopping by, and stay warm!!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment