Thursday, January 2, 2014

Set Goals, Not Resolutions

I have never really liked the idea of New Year's Resolutions.  Maybe it's because I have never been successful in the attempt.  But is anyone, really?  Don't get me wrong, there's no better time to make some changes than January 1st.  But, how you go about making the changes is much more important than the changes you plan to make, don't you think?  Especially if you truly want to be successful.  That is why I have decided to make a list of goals for the new year, and say NO to resolutions.  Some goals are very specific, and some fall more in the "to-do" category. But all have a place for one big fat check mark once they are complete.   I ran this idea by my hubby not long ago, and he loved the idea as well.  So we sat down and brainstormed some ideas together.  We now have a very solid list of things we want to accomplish in 2014.  It also gave us some much needed bonding time...you know, where we actually had a conversation.  Talk about pumping yourself up for the next 12 months! 

I admit, it was hard for me to get started because I felt the need to add everything I have ever wanted to do to my goal list. But you have to start small and focus on what is most important.  If you don't, you will find yourself with a ginormous list, and end up feeling overwhelmed and exhausted before you even get started.  And no one wants that.  This is the year to 'Say Goodbye to Survival Mode' after all!  And while we're on the subject...  Crystal Paine has some fantastic ideas in her blog post 'How to Change Your Life by Setting Goals'.  She nails it on the head by saying:
"...without goals, you have nothing that you’re aiming for. And complacency and floundering are often the result."
I couldn't agree more.  Sometimes I feel as if she writes what I am thinking (and planning on writing).   I talk about her as if we have discussed these topics over lattes at Starbucks (one can only dream), but that's what I love about her blog and her new book.  Keep that in mind while setting your goals.  And if you need some extra help and encouragement, here are a few of mine:

  • Run a 10K
  • Read a little every day, with a goal to complete: The Energy Bus, Loving the Little Years, Cha Cha Chandler Teen Demonologist, and daily devotions)
  • Have our Pastor and his family over for dinner
  • Spend more time with friends and family (dinner party, poker night, spa day, Columbia trip)
  • Cross the finish line at a Tough Mudder
  • Bring the boys to volunteer with us at our next Special Olympics event
 
 


Since my goal of running a 10K is much more defined than getting in shape, for instance, it gives me that sense of accomplishment when I cross it off my list.  While getting in shape is the result I hope to get, it allows me to have something specific to work towards.  Who knows, maybe next year I'll be adding a half marathon to the list...  
 
So now that I have you to hold me accountable, I hope you will follow along with me through the year as I work towards these goals.   And I wish you much success in reaching your goals in 2014, as well as a blessed and happy new year!   
 


2 comments:

  1. I like the goals idea! I ran my first 10k this year and used "train like a mother- finish it" as my training guide. It is in a book full of advice and training plans for Moms. The first book is run like a mother and I highly recommend that too! After my next baby, a half will be on my yearly goals! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check that out. Thank you!! Good luck to you as well. We can do it!!! :)

      Delete